Reflecting on 2022
- This has been a whirlwind year for Solid Roots and we couldn’t have done it without the support our Solid Roots family (you!) has shown us.
- Our numbers were rocking, if we don’t say so ourselves! 10,050 plastic bottles saved from oceans and landfills, 3,926 bars hand-crafted, 26 states reached, 90 markets, and 27 retail partners sum up our year in numbers
- Friendly reminder to relish the time spent with loved ones this year for the holidays and take some time to recharge
The end of the year is my favorite. It’s not just the holiday season that I love, but it’s also a wonderful chance to reflect on all that’s happened the last twelve months. And for Solid Roots, we have a lot to mull over!
But before I get into that, I just wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for all the support you’ve shown our budding small business since our launch and beyond. I’ve personally met loads of you through the many (many, many!) markets I did this year and it’s been a blast getting to know those who have given Solid Roots a chance. A big thank you, as well, to those I’ve only met online, but are every bit as special. To our retail partners, new and old, thank you for your continued support and for chatting up our products to your amazing customer base. To the countless other small business owners local to the Triangle that I’ve been on this wild ride with, I couldn’t have done this without you!
This year was our year of growth. Obviously we hope that we will continue to grow every year, but our goal this year was to really get out into the community and start educating people on the importance of reducing plastic waste (all while also having amazing hair!). Some of you may know that I quit my full time job with the government last October and completely threw myself into growing Solid Roots as much as possible this year – and I think we did a pretty darn good job!
I present to you Solid Roots’ year in numbers:
- 10,050 Plastic Bottles Saved from Oceans and Landfills - Each shampoo and conditioner has three times the amount of cleansing power as one bottle of shampoo or conditioner. By switching products to bar form, you prevent these unnecessary single-use plastics from ending up in our landfills and oceans. Join us in our mission!
- 3,926 Bars Hand-Crafted - Yup! I was busy this year! But, I was able to learn some new tips and tricks to really streamline the process to reach peak efficiency.
- 26 States Reached - Because of our amazing customers, word spread quickly about the products and we reached nearly 30 different states!
- 90 Farmers and Pop-up Markets - 90!!! It was a blast. You can find me sleeping for the next year…
- 27 retail partners - We’ve nearly doubled our retail partners since last year and have been absolutely amazed by the friendships and partnerships we have made with both local and national shops this past year. Many of these owners are our biggest champions and we cannot thank them enough for helping us spread the word about Solid Roots’ mission.
Apart from those milestones I also had the chance to grow our social media networks and finally took the time to properly learn how to use them! I also was able to find time to finish up the Diploma in Organic Haircare Formulation course I had been working on the past two years from the highly-rated online formulation school, Formula Botanica, along with another year-long training for small-business owners that was crucial to our growth.
We also were able to launch a few new products including a clarifying shampoo bar, a wooden draining shower dish, and our holiday gift boxes which we hope to keep around after the holiday (minus the holiday theme).
Also, some of you may know, but this year I was awarded the 2022 Movers and Shakers Award from Cary Magazine in May! The award honors people in the community who are making a lasting impact. It was very unexpected, but so lovely to have been honored this way and gave me the push I needed to keep working through the grind!
As we move into the new year, remember to take time to cherish your friends and loved ones and recharge your (mental, emotional, physical, etc) batteries so that you can do great things in 2023!