- Solid Roots donated one percent of total sales from the months of April-June 2022 to the Alzheimer's Association, as voted on by our amazing customers as part of our Root Cause of the Quarter program.
- Millions of people worldwide are living with Alzheimer's and other dementias.
- The Alzheimer's Association’s mission is to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
- Head to our website now to help choose the next Root Cause of the Quarter.
Today, 55 million people globally, including more than six million Americans, are living with Alzheimer’s Disease. Since 1980,the Alzheimer's Association has been the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer's care, support, and research. And that’s a mission that Solid Roots can get behind. Thanks to your votes this quarter, we are donating one percent of total sales for Q2 to the Alzheimer’s Association in their quest to find a cure for this debilitating disease.
Alzheimer’s disease is a degenerative brain disease and the most common form of dementia. (Dementia is not a specific disease, but rather its an overall term that describes a group of symptoms.) And I know from personal experience how heart-breaking this disease can be. My great-grandfather suffered from Alzheimer’s and I remember being a child and observing his decline. It was so hard to watch him go through that, but possibly even worse was witnessing how this disease impacted our family.
Researchers believe there isn't a single cause of Alzheimer's disease. It likely develops from multiple factors – some of which we do have control over. Age, genetics, and family history of the disease are set in stone, but certain lifestyle factors can be changed in order to decrease your risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- Head injuries are thought to increase your risk, so be sure to always wear your seatbelts, helmets when participating in sports, and proofing your home if you have a tendency to fall.
- Keep your heart healthy! New research links brain health to heart health. The brain is nourished by one of the body’s richest networks of blood vessels, and the heart is responsible for pumping blood through these blood vessels to the brain.
- Age healthfully through eating a healthy diet, staying socially active, avoiding tobacco and excess alcohol, and exercising both the body and mind.
Currently, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s, and this is why supporting organizations like the Alzheimer's Association is so critical. The Alzheimer's Association is the world’s largest nonprofit funder of Alzheimer’s research. They back independent researchers worldwide through their grant program. Currently, they invest over $300 million to more than 920 projects in 45 countries and on six continents. And on top of that they also run their own research projects and clinical trials, providing a multi-pronged approach to finding a cure.
Another arm of their efforts is to advocate for increased federal funding for Alzheimer’s research from organizations like the National Institutes of Health. Alongside that, they also plan conferences to provide Alzheimer’s researchers different mechanisms to share new research discoveries and collaborate.
It’s obvious they’re at the forefront of Alzheimer’s research, with a cure hopefully just around the corner. We’re thrilled to be supporting such a great cause with our Root Cause donation this quarter. As always, if you have ideas for future Root Cause of the Quarter organizations you’d like us to consider, let us know here. And be sure to vote for our current Root Cause here! Thank you for your support in our mission to make the world a better place.